Friday, August 7, 2015

Why?

DSCF3729.jpg

So what's the point of this blog? 

Lately I've noticed there aren't a lot of unbiased gear reviews, especially for fly fishing gear. Sure, there are reviews by online shops and magazines but they're looking to sell stuff or for advertising dollars so they never truly give a negative review (unless it's a brand they don't carry or who doesn't advertise with them of course). Last week I was looking for a 3wt rod to use on some of the smaller mountain streams around here. Now granted you need to cast a rod to know for sure if it's right for you, but where to start? I'd love to have unlimited time to visit every fly shop in the area and test every 3wt rod they have on the rack, but that just isn't going to happen. Asking the staff at your local fly shop can be hit and miss too. At one shop the guy working there started going on about how this one 3wt rod was great because he could cast the whole line with it. I think he's missing the point of a short 3wt rod for cutties in small mountain streams...

So I'll post up some reviews for fishing gear I've actually used, camping gear, and maybe some cameras and lenses as well. I might throw in some trip reports, rants, and ramblings too. Maybe later today I'll start out with a post about the 3wt rods I tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment